Monday, February 1, 2010

Wedding Cake

A few weekends ago I attended my friend Lauren's wedding. It shared the same date as my grandparent's wedding anniversary. Sadly, my grandfather passed away just a few weeks before, missing what would have been their 66th anniversary. Remarkable. I recently stumbled across a picture of their wedding cake. I asked my grandmother about it and she told a beautiful story regarding the cake and the photo.




My grandparents were married in the midst of World War I, a time when everything was rationed. Sugar was difficult to find, so a friend went to several homes in the neighborhood asking for help. The neighbors gladly obliged, and they were able to collect enough sugar to bake a cake. Film was also rationed, and so the photographer took the cake outside, where he was certain the light would be such that he could get a good capture in one try. The chair that the cake is sitting on is now in my parent's dining room.

What a beautiful picture of community, and what an incredible legacy they helped to create. I hope that a little bit of that legacy is carried on in Lauren and Jim's marriage. I wish them both the very best.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an amazing story. So sweet and so appropriate.

    ReplyDelete