Monday, November 7, 2011

Pretty Things

I came across this video today, via Creature Comforts, and it so perfectly echoed what I have been feeling over the last few days, that I had to share it..."make it beautiful". Just like Erin Jang did for this video (for Martha Stewart Living), I try to make pretty things out of simple objects, like paper. I don't have a "mission", per se -- I'm not trying to make a loud statement, or change anyone's mind. I just like making pretty things.





This weekend, I was honored to be part of the Girlie Show once again. This is a fantastic show -- incredibly organized, amazingly well attended, and full of really, really talented female artists. This was my third year to participate, and it did not disappoint. Being at an art show is a little surreal. It's not like having an online shop or selling in a boutique, or even being part of an exhibit. In those cases you have very little contact with your customer. But in an art show, you hear every comment. You get real-time feedback from people who are truly excited to finally put a face to the name, or are seeing your work for the first time. It's humbling to receive compliments and to hear nice things about your work, and it's an honor when someone decides to purchase something that you made.


Photo by Nathan Poppe


99.9% of the things I heard people say were positive. There was one girl though who, while standing next to me, made the international sign for "puke" and said "Too much work!" Honestly, I wasn't insulted as much as surprised. I, by no mean, expect everyone to like my work. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, "too much work"? I guess it's the opposite end of the "Why would I pay hundreds of dollars for something my five-year-old could paint?" argument.


For me, as I would assume it is for most artists, it isn't about the time involved. I create what comes from within me, no matter how long it will take. Am I relieved when I glue down the last piece of paper for a project? Absolutely. But I get equally excited to start the next piece, and that's why I keep at it.

I'm a "love is in the details" girl, so the intricacies are (for me, at least) the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment