Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Splendid Finds - Sophie & Lili

I have been looking for a doll for my niece Sophia for quite some time. She was adopted from Ethiopia, and I think it's very important that she has a doll that looks like her. The fact that there are very few dark-skinned dolls out there came as no surprise -- I can remember being very aware of this as a child, walking up and down the aisles at the toy store. I knew that I would have to search a little to find one -- but I didn't anticipate just how difficult this search would be.

A few weeks ago, I was drooling over the online pages of Gifted Magazine, lovingly put together by Ez of Creature Comforts fame. If you haven't looked through this, you really need to. It's beautiful. And it will absolutely get you in the holiday spirit, I promise. And possibly, like it did with me, convince you that you must wrap all of your gifts in white and gold. Gorgeous!


I'm getting off topic. Anyway -- this is how I discovered Sophie & Lili dolls. There are a few pre-sewn dolls to choose from, but the incredibly appealing element was the ability to customize a doll. What? Brown skin? And pom poms? And a range of adorable outfits to choose from? Yes please (and thank you so much!).

Adorable, no?
Image taken from the Sophie & Lili blog.

I can't wait for Sophia's doll to arrive! And, don't worry, I'll most certainly post pictures of it when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment