Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving - What I'm Cooking

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is mere days away. This year has absolutely flown by -- the last few months in particular. I'm excited to spend Thanksgiving with my family, and excited to prepare a few dishes as well.

I'm making the stuffing this year, which will be a first. I guess, technically, it's dressing, because we don't actually stuff it inside the turkey.

I'm trying this Martha recipe. Usually, I tend to think Martha's recipes are far too complicated. Who has the time to give a portion of your ingredients an "ice bath"? This recipe does call for homemade pumpkin challah bread. Um, no. I will be incorporating Panera-made challah bread instead. I think that I will also use apples instead of dried figs, as it better suits my family (i.e. non-adventurous eaters).




This next side might change, based on my brother-in-law's very strong reaction to the mere mention of butternut squash. "Gross! Disgusting!" I reminded him that I made it last year -- Was it that disgusting? Why did no one tell me? But I very clearly remember my family loving it. And I seem to remember my brother-in-law eating and loving it, too. We'll see. I liked it.



I have used the vinaigrette portion of this recipe on many vegetables. It's great with green beans, and the vinegar helps keep them fresh for a little longer than usual, should you have leftovers.


And finally - dessert! I love pumpkin anything, really, but this recipe is especially delicious -- and easy! I first encountered pumpkin cobbler last year while guest-judging a chili cook-off (which I completely failed at, as I don't eat red meat) and halloween costume contest. They had a bake sale as well, and this is what I purchased. It was so delicious that I had to find the recipe. I think I made it two or three times last winter.



I'll let you know how it goes! What are you making this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment